The warm, sandy beaches, inviting sub-tropical climate and unending natural beauty make KwaZulu-Natal’s Sapphire Coast one of the country’s most popular holiday destinations year-round. And Sapphire Coast Tourism (SCT) will be welcoming holidaymakers with the Sapphire Sizzling Summer holiday programme, overflowing with fun activities for all ages, from Tuesday, 18 December 2018 to Saturday, 5 January 2019.
“The Sapphire Coast embraces its position as a prime holiday destination and we look forward to sharing the area’s warmth and beauty with visitors every year,” said Romy Wenzel, chairman of Sapphire Coast Tourism. “The holiday events’ programme has been carefully planned, promising a diverse line-up that caters to all interests.”
She said that, in line with this year’s DSW (Durban Solid Waste) campaign, ‘Hashtag No Litter on My Beach’, Sapphire Coast Tourism has themed the 2018/2019 holiday season ‘Go Green – Keep Our Sapphire Coast Clean’.
“While we really want every person visiting the Sapphire Coast this holiday to have a truly memorable experience, we ask that they are environmentally responsible leave nothing behind but their footprints!”
Sapphire Sizzling Summer Programme
(Sapphire Coat Tourism in conjunction with local companies and non-profit organisations)
Amanzimtoti Beach, Pipeline Beach and Winklespruit Beach on the Upper South Coast will all play host to the holiday programme with DJs entertaining crowds daily at the three locations from 9am.
– Guided Nature Walks
Wednesday, 19 December at Amanzimtoti Bird Park (time to be confirmed).
Saturday, 29 December at Burchell’s Coucal Eco-Trail (time to be confirmed).
– Dive Presentation
Thursday, 20 December and Friday, 4 January at 10am – Learn how to blow bubbles with the amazing dive crew from Aliwal Shoal Scuba at Inyoni Rocks Pool, Amanzimtoti Main Beach.
– Meet Father Christmas
Monday, 24 December at Pipeline Beach, Amanzimtoti Main Beach and Winklespruit Beach – A special guest will surprise beachgoers!
– Ten-pin Bowling
18, 21, 22, 28 and 29 December – the Funland/Dolphin Bowl Crew will entertain young and old with the mobile ten-pin line at Amanzimtoti Main Beach. There are loads of fun giveaways to be had!
– MTN Summer Campaign
Sunday, 30 and Monday, 31 December from 10am to 5pm – MTN will host outdoor activations with music and prizegiving. This will include a Gig Rig Truck with sound and on-stage screens.
There will be ongoing beach entertainment at Amanzimtoti Main Beach from 9am to 2pm every day. The daily programme includes:
- A puppet show.
- Fun for kids – musical chairs, treasure hunt, hoola hoops and face painting.
- Beach games – water balloons, flagging, egg throwing, obstacle race, soccer, baseball, cricket and tug-of-war.
- Sport competitions – volleyball, touch rugby and basketball.
- Talent competitions – Miss Bikini and eating contests.
- Family fun – water Olympics, sandcastle building, juksei and golf chipping.
– Christmas Park Run
Saturdays at 8am – the Amanzimtoti Park Run as in organised, free, weekly, timed 5km run/walk which takes place on the beachfront. Join the Christmas Park Run on 25 December at 8am.
– Clean Surf Project (CSP) Beach Presentation
Tuesday, 18 December at 10am at Amanzimtoti Main Beach – CSP educates the public about the harmful effects plastic consumption and disposal is having on the ocean. The team has planned a fun presentation involving games and challenges – including the famous scavenger hunt – to create awareness about the dangers of plastic in the environment.
– Lighting of Christmas Tree
The amphitheatre at the end of the promenade, next to Amanzimtoti Lagoon (date and time to be confirmed) – SCT has spent weeks beautifying this area by fixing walls, stairs and painting walls in Sapphire Blue in preparation for the lighting. SCT extends a big thank you to Kingsway High School pupils that added colour and life to the area by painting murals displaying the activities available on the Sapphire Coast.
– Lifeguard Presentations
eThekweni Lifeguards will demonstrate CPR and boat rescues at Amanzimtoti Main Beach during holiday programme to ensure the safety of all beachgoers during this time.
Sapphire Coast Tourism would like to thank the sponsors involved in the Sapphire Summer Sizzling programme which include, among others:
- Aliwal Dive Centre
- Gary’s Horses
- 305 Guest House
- Thirsty Whale
- Clear Waters Spur Amanzimtoti
- Splash Waterworld
- Funland/Dolphin Bowl
- Giselle’s Coffee Shop
- Lords and Legends
- Pick n Pay Galleria
*Please note the holiday programme will not run on 25 and 26 December 2018 or 1 and 2 January 2019.
Other holiday activities in the area
15 December from 6.30pm to 9.30pm – Christmas Lights 2018 at Remax Toti, 14 Lewis Drive, Amanzimtoti.
16 December at 8am – Winkle-Toti-Winkle Sea and Sand Marathon.
16 December from 2pm to 9pm – Christmas Market at Sweetwaters Church, Winklespruit.
16 December at Mnini Dam – Mnini Dam Extravaganza.
23 December (early evening) – Christmas Carols at Winklespruit Beach.
Sapphire Coast Tourism would like to highlight that, apart from unspoilt clean and sandy beaches the Sapphire Coast has to offer, holidaymakers can experience many other things in the area. Places of interest include:
- Diving at the Aliwal Shoal
- Visiting Crocworld Conservation Centre
- llovo Nursery Craft and Fresh Produce Market – locally-made, proudly South African, child-friendly market with free entry and good vibes…a ‘must do’ if you’re looking for a great family day out.
- Craft beer, arts and crafts, yummy food and lots more to do.
- Hiking or mountain biking at Ilanda Wilds
- Supertubing at Splash Waterworld
- Shopping, ice-skating, go-karting and so much more at Galleria Mall
- Playing golf at Amanzimtoti or Umkomaas Golf Courses
- Surfing, kite-surfing, fishing, swimming, kayaking…or any other coastal activities
- Splashing or training in the recreational pools at Pipeline, Inyoni, Winklespruit and Illovo.