This year The Ballito Pro presented by O’Neill will be adding some serious flavour to the festival programme with the delicious Ballito Pro Family Food Festival on Monday, 1 and Tuesday, 2 July from 3pm to 9pm. This two-day escapade of food, adventure and entertainment, presented by Ballito Junction Regional Mall, forms part of the expansive festival programme – all free of charge – running alongside the global surfing contest, taking place at KwaDukuza from 27 June to 7 July.
“We have put together a really incredibly delicious foodie event that will include celebrity cook-offs, crafts, entertainment and pop-up restaurants – all with a strong focus on family fun and environmental sustainability,” said Lewaine Von Allemann, organiser of the Ballito Pro Family Food Festival. “Families can enjoy some outdoor fun at the Ballito Pro during the day and head over to Ballito Junction Regional Mall in the afternoon where the fun continues!”
Ballito Pro Family Food Festival
The highlight on the Food Festival programme is the nightly Cook-off Competitions which will include the Family Food Feud Mystery Box Cook-off on Monday, 1 July and the Celebrity Cook-off on Tuesday, 2 July.
The first night will see two family members team up to create a delicious dish using ingredients from the Mystery Box, as well as other pantry ingredients. Entry is free for the contest and there are some fantastic prizes up for grabs!
The second night will pit South African celebrities against each other in another Mystery Box Challenge cooking contest that is sure to entertain audiences! This year’s contestants will include the legendary Sal Masekela – ambassador for this year’s Ballito Pro – Natasha ‘Bash with Tash’ Munien; South African singer, Bok van Blerk and his wife, Hanna Grobler; a mystery surfer contestant….and more!
The contests will be emceed by Diogo Barendse, with local restaurateurs sharing their insights as the judging panel for both evenings. Audiences will also enjoy entertainment by renowned South African musicians, Gavin Ferguson, Winston Smile and Kerry Lee Singers.
In addition to the cook-off contests, holidaymakers will get to enjoy a number of onsite activities throughout the two-day Ballito Pro Family Food Festival. These include:
- Marine conservation presentation by SA Endurance Swimmer, Sarah Ferguson at 4pm daily.
- Young Entrepreneurs Market to showcase products and market businesses, all stands free of charge!
- Green Living Market selling eco-friendly products and creating public awareness about sustainability.
- Eco Brick Making teaching children to recycle with bricks donated to North Coast Agricultural College.
- Recycling Craft Area with fun and exciting crafts made from recyclable materials.
- Games Area with giant garden games for the family.
- Face painting for all ages!
- Music by the KwaZulu Marimba Band.
- Entertainment in the form of fire dancers, flash mobs, carnival events and ‘Off the Runway’ with Miss Ballito.
- SMG Mini Rocks Adventure Zone
- Pop Up Restaurants for all tastes.
- Bars selling wine and craft drinks.
Geraldine Jorgensen, CEO of Ballito Junction, commented: “We are excited to continue our association with the world’s longest running professional surfing event, as it heads into its sixth decade. We look forward to welcoming some of the world’s top surfers to the Dolphin Coast and Ballito Junction Regional Mall is delighted to once again be partnering with The Ballito Pro for the Ballito Pro Family Food Festival.”
The Ballito Pro Family Food Festival forms part of the bigger Ballito Pro festival running throughout KwaDukuza, alongside the surfing contest. Other exciting activities include:
- Sal Masekela African Surf Adventure Driven by SMG Rocks and Hosted by Coco de Mer
- The Ballito Pro Music Concerts presented by 5FM
- After Dark Parties – hosted by Crush Ballito
- Extreme Sports – adrenaline-fuelled Monster activations
- Daily Beach Action, Retail Area and Kids’ Corner
- Save the Waves – Litter4Tokens recycling programme
- South African surfboard shapers
If you’re looking for an experience that #feelslikefreedom, get to the Ballito Pro presented by O’Neill! For more information on The Ballito Pro visit:
Snapchat: Username – TheBallitoPro
The Ballito Pro presented by O’Neill is proudly supported by: KDM, WSL, SSA, O’Neill, North Coast Courier, Zigzag, 5FM, Monster, Capitec, Big Nite Out Productions, Distell, SMG Mini, Coke a Cola, Durban Yamaha, Ballito Junction Regional Mall, IPSS, Casio G Shock, Union 3, Liquid Telecommunications, DUT, Bench Coffee, Fine Young Cooks, Crush Ballito, Rocco Mamas, Ballito UIP, Mike’s Kitchen, BB Slices, Yami, Fiamma, YesMan/SA Racing Association, Coco De Mer, Local and Abroad Travel.