It’s finally happening … the KZN South Coast is cementing its position as Africa’s premier biker destination with the stunning coastal towns from Margate to St Michaels playing host to African Bike Week Festival from 28 to 30 April 2022. This incredibly diverse event will showcase African biker culture through mass rides, parades, stunt shows, musical entertainment and more!
“After two years of planning, Bike Fest SA are excited to finally be kicking off Africa Bike Week Festival which will include biker representation from across the continent,” said event organiser, Vicky Wentzel. “This event will be a celebration of bikers, of African unity, and a chance to finally enjoy an in-person festival with great music, food and entertainment. We’re grateful to everyone who has supported this event and are looking forward to showcasing the talent and energy of Africa’s biker, music and retail communities.”
African Bike Week Festival, hosted by Ray Nkonyeni Municipality and powered by Bike Fest SA. In a show of commitment to biker unity in Africa, R20 from every ticket sold will go towards charity initiatives run by these biker councils.
“The KZN South Coast has long been a key destination for the biker community, and we are excited to be supporting the resurgence of this tourism attraction,” explained Sikhumbuzo Mqadi, Mayor of Ray Nkonyeni Municipality. “Biking fraternities from across Africa have been invited to attend this event and we are very pleased to have federations attending from Mozambique, Angola, Botswana, Swaziland, Lesotho and Zambia as well as hosting artists on our Bikers Unite Stage from these countries. Motorcycling has risen in popularity across the continent, bringing together people from all walks of life with a shared passion for these two-wheeled machines. We want to continue this tradition through African Bike Week Festival which is promoting tourism to the beautiful KZN South Coast and generating funds for charitable initiatives.”
Some highlights on the African Bike Week Festival calendar include:
- Two rocking stages hosting artists including USA’s Alton Miller, and top musicians from across the African continent including AKA, Bok Van Blerk, Ghapi, Die Heuwels Fantasties, Thebe, Refentse, Kwesta, Refentse, Gizela, Brendan Peyper, Mona Lee and many more;
- The Motorcycle Zone: dealer and brand displays; custom painting, bike-related products and accessories, and custom bike show with prizes;
- The Food Village featuring a range of food trucks catering to all tastes;
- The Craft Village featuring a variety of stalls and vendors;
- The Lifestyle Zone: tattoo artists, piercings and jewellery;
- The Kids Zone: Face painting, jumping castles, fun rides, beach activations;
- The Extreme Zone: King Donut Burnout shows, Le Riche Brothers stunt shows, bikini bike wash;
- Bar areas with multiple lounges
- VIP, VVIP and corporate hospitality suites.
- Outrides, fringe festival shuttle tours, and shisanyama tours;
- After-parties and pre-selected venues;
- Scenic helicopter rides; and
- Mass rides and offshoot parades visiting Izongolweni and Gamalakhe.
African Bike Week Festival is also giving 50 000 reasons why bike club members should attend African Bike Week Festival! The bike club that presents itself at African Bike Week Festival with the biggest number of members, will take home the R50 000 cash prize – and all participants have the chance to win a motorcycle!
The safety of all event goers is being prioritised through a collaborative effort by SAPS, private security companies, and local crime prevention units.
All artists, media and VVIP guests will be transported by BMW Shelly Beach and Supertech Group with Wolf Security providing security. Call Towing Recovery is also offering free towing for breakdown bikes between Umtentweni and Southbroom.
To view ticket prices and to book, visit www.howler.co.za/africanbikeweek. Children U12 enter free.
For anyone wanting to check out beach conditions on the day, there are three live webcams located at KZN South Coast beaches:
Margate Beach: www.southafricawebcams.co.za/places/margate-beach-webcam/
Southbroom Beach: www.southafricawebcams.co.za/places/southbroom-beach-webcam/
St Michael’s Beach: www.southafricawebcams.co.za/places/st-michaels-beach-webcam/